Kitori, Vadeli Today, Misapplied Heroes

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:32:10 -0800

Hello,

Concerning the Kitori:

At 07:14 AM 3/12/2001 -0800, The Glorantha Digest wrote:
>Most information
>on the Broken Council comes from the freeform game by this name.
Most of the information in that package can be trusted, especially since Shannon, Stephen and I worked closely to make sure it was so. HOWEVER,
>The version
>where the Kitori replaced the trolls on the council apparently is how that
>game ran when it was played at RQ-Con 2, and this info was in the player
>reports on that game in the convention compendium.
I do not think that it was the Kitori who replaced the Uz on the council. When we wrote the freeform "Kitori" was the best information we hand. But it wasn't them.

>Shannon Appel's History of the Kingdom of Night has the Kitori withdrawing
>along with the trolls and Heortlings, and actively opposing Palangio the
>Iron Vrok as he invades Kethaela - a much likelier outcome.
This is correct. They are and always have been pretty close to OOO.
>>Clans are
>>either troll or human, not mixed,

The Kitori actually defy all convention, and are: neither troll nor human, and
both troll and human.
OOO was this way too.
I regret I have no time now to explain this. It is more of a scenario application that anything that could ever be pinned down with rules.
I advised Shannon on the material in his history. Those are all partial truths, and I take full responsibility for greging Shannon on any changes. Like the information concerning the "Broken Council," I've learned additional material.

Vadeli Today
>While I can see that the Vadeli would have set up cults directing their
>worship to Vadeli magicians, would these still continue after Oenriko Rocks
>and their Cortez/Quetzalcoatl scam becoming public?

Except among the Orange Guild, I do not see the Vadeli as having any real political power anywhere. They had their day, were busted and now are totally mistrusted by everyone.

Misapplied Heroes
>A wizard saint can be worshipped as such, though. As the example of the
>bishop saints in the Aeolian Church shows, it is possible to establish some
>kind of presence in the Otherworld through misapplied worship. Once this has
>happened, who is to stop theist barbarians from adopting this saint as a
>hero?

I think such an event occurs. Many exceptions exist everywhere. I hope SR! makes it clear that I encourage all narrators to make whatever entity of this nature they wish.
HOWEVER, we need to realize that this is a small thing, and of the nature that defies rules, not defines them. It "violates the rules" certainly, but so do many things. This is just a minor thread hanging out of the cosmic carpet. The carpet has become worn over the last five centuries and some regions are very frayed.
Is it good or bad? Do the gods care?
These are of course the questions to be answered in the game, and not things that I could ever say with certainly beforehand. They are what the game is about, things that can not be answered definitively in Glorantha at this time.