Malkioni nihilism

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:11:27 -0600

Jerome Blondel says:

>I suppose some Godlearners were aware that basic axioms were unprovable, and
>messed up a lot with Glorantha's axioms as to devise powerful spells and
>heroquests and Flying Pig Gods. 'Hmm. Let the others play with the Monomyth
>and see what's going to happen if i use this axiom instead of this one.
>After all, you can't prove which is true'. This realization was lost to
>Malkiondom with many other things when the Cosmos set things back in proper
>order.

        It occurs to me that this is a pitfall that has affected more than one Gloranthan culture. When Malkioni sorcerors work down the chains of magical "proofs" until they reach the nihilistic realization that it doesn't matter, that x can be exchanged for y, they disrupt the ballance of the universe. Similarly, when Nysolarian mystics worked down the conceptual chain to the realization that "nothing is true; all is permitted," they engaged in appalling practices. These annihilatory realizations are not necessarily evil, but it takes a strong character to avoid moral corruption. I wonder if theism and animism have similar pitfalls?

Peter Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #304