Kinslaying

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:23:20 -0600

Andrew Larsen says:

> In my campaign, some bad guys tricked one of the Orlanthi PCs into
>committing a kinslaying during a heroquest. Two questions:
> 1) what might the mythic effect of kinslaying be? I've got a few ideas,
>but I want to see if anyone has any neat ideas.

        Doom, disaster, loss of fertility, destruction of the bloodline, destruction of the clan, upsurge of chaos, etc. Those are, of course, the practical aspects; I suppose the mythic ones are even worse....

> 2) Are there any quests that might be used to atone for kinslaying? I
>have this nagging idea that there is, but I can't think of one.

        Orlanth did it occasionally (Vadrus come to mind), so presumably there's a way out. On a more definite level, the malefactors could own up to the crime and be outlawed to protect the bloodline and clan. The perps will probably still suffer, but that's what they get; kinslaying is really serious as there's no way to obtain justice, no way to atone or pay for it. Can they bring the dead back? Can they get an Eurmali to take the rap?

Peter Larsen