Re: Umathelans

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:18:27 -0800

Jerome Blondel

> >me> When did those Orlanthi reach Umathela? (...)
> >
> >This was well before the God Learners, it's actually at a time when
> >the Waertagi still ruled the seas.
>
> Yes, there's the 'Cities of Jrustela' article on the Issaries site.

I can't find it there, which is darned annoying since I wrote it.

> The
> Waertagi brought several (dragon?-)shiploads of Slontan barbarians on the
> southern coast of Jrustela and they founded a city state in Arshu Phola near
> a sacred cave. They were poor sailors but dabbled in piracy, so the
> Seshnelan colonists destroyed them. Many sought refuge in nearby Umathela.

What's not there, IIRC, is that the Waertagi had already transported other barbarians to Umathela. This was in 580 or so, and is said (in Missing Lands) to be the first settlement.

> Did the Umathelans' ancestors worship 9 LB as well or were they added later?

I haven't decided for my game. It's entirely possible they didn't have Lightbringers at all until the God Learners introduced it (nobody at all had this until Harmast, and he didn't get to Slontos as far as I know). This would mean that there weren't 9 until the end of the God Learners.

One other aspect of 9 is that you could interpret the myth in a political sense. Tyloque finds companions from three separate groups. Geography separates the Umathelan barbarians pretty effectively, and the God Learners probably tried to enforce this so they'd have nice independent experimental groups. So part of breaking the power of the God Learners is uniting three separate peoples. (And actually, each god -- or god's representative on the quest -- probably came from a different tribe.)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein