Re: Kinslaying

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:28:36 +0000

> Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:42:09 -0600
> From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
> Subject: Kinslaying
>
> In my campaign, some bad guys tricked one of the Orlanthi PCs into
> committing a kinslaying during a heroquest. Two questions:
> 1) what might the mythic effect of kinslaying be?

The relevant myth would be the Sword & Helm Saga, which is mentioned in one of the Enclosures, IIRC.
- -..
> 2) Are there any quests that might be used to atone for kinslaying?
- -..

Heortling Orlanthi care nothing for atonement, for any crime. What matters is vengeance, restitution or compensation. The problem with kin slaying is that the legal unit is the kin, and so the injured party (the kin as a whole) is also the guilty party: it can not make vengeance on itself or make compensation to itself.

To a Heortling, kin slaying is so terrible because something has been irrecoverably lost. To be tricked into kin slaying in a Heroquest would be a terrible disaster. Given that Heroquests amplify the consequences of actions done on them, I'd say the kin in question are doomed to bloody self destruction.