Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #305

From: Coridan <argrath_at_agoron.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:43:42 -0000

> Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:49:36 +1300
> From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
> Subject: Kinstrife
>
> Andrew Larsen:
>
> > In my campaign, some bad guys tricked one of the Orlanthi PCs into
> >committing a kinslaying during a heroquest. Two questions:
> > 1) what might the mythic effect of kinslaying be? I've got a few
ideas,
> >but I want to see if anyone has any neat ideas.
>
> The cosmic law is turned upside down and chaos becomes more
> prominent in the vicinity of the wrongdoers.
>
> >2) Are there any quests that might be used to atone for kinslaying? I
> >have this nagging idea that there is, but I can't think of one.

There's only one I can think of... The Lightbringer's Quest. Are they prepared to bring back to life the person who they slew?

> I'm not so sure that it's something that can be atoned for. By
> his actions, the PC will have kin who want to see him done in.
> Their hatred fuels the kinstrife and to halt it, the Hero will
> have to satisfy their vengeance in some way.
>
> - --Peter Metcalfe

Sounds to me like they better start heading west. It seems to me that one of the major (and hidden) reasons Orlanth went on the Lightbringer's quest is because he realised that Yelm was, through his father, kin. Yelm is even in some Orlanthi poems call "Bright Uncle."

So, like Orlanth, the PC's will need to fix the universe and make amends to those whom they did wrong to.

Chris Bell
argrath_at_agoron.com
coridan_at_shai-net.com
The Hero Wars Are Now!