Orlanth and Vadrus

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 11:59:49 +0000

Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>

> Trotsky

>>Much though Orlanth might have been tempted, surely it was some chaos >>monstrosity that offed Vadrus?

> I'm pretty sure Vadrus got to be so much of a pain that Orlanth
> killed him, then made Valind Vadrus's heir.

TR p.147 says that Vadrus and his followers tried to take Wakboth's powers and were so completely destroyed that worship of Vadrus has become impossible.

> Where I read this, I'm not so sure, so I could be wildly wrong.

TR p.146 tells how Orlanth put Valind in charge (of the outlaw wilds?) after he returned from the exile and had to deal with Vadrus' slaying of Barntar.

> Anyway, as has been pointed out, Vadrus may well have been
> outlawed by the time Orlanth killed him, assuming Orlanth did.
> I'll look around and see if I can find a citation (unless
> someone else beats me to it).

"Orlanth went to Vadrus and deposed his brother, but did not kill anyone."

The myths keep Orlanth steering clear from Kinslaying.