Re: Orlanthi and mysticism

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_fairbruk.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:18:17 +0000

In article , Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com> writes
>Peter Larsen:
>
>> > There are no practitioners of [Orlanth Dragonfriend] and AFAIK
>> > worship of it is impossible since Alakoring freed Orlanth from
>> > Arangorf.
>
>>So the EWF wasn't just destroyed and "erased," but it actually became
>>impossible for people to follow its paths and use its magics?
>
>Firstly, it is still possible to be a draconist (ask any Kralori). I
>merely answered the question for Orlanth Dragonfriend. This was only
>one of many EWF cults that are now no longer worshipped.

I've assumed in my game (YGMV alot!) that Argrath must be using some combination of Orlanthi and Draconic magics in things like the Brown Dragon rising in 1625. These magics seem best labelled Orlanth Dragonfriend. I've assumed that the potential exists for some of these magics to be rediscovered by my "heroes". One of them has a long history with the Dragonewts, and has one as a patron. Am I a hopeless heretic? (The character is assumed to be such within the game by all who know them).

I've assumed the Orlanth Dragonfriend magics are a theistic take on the dragonewt life stages, adapted to be suitable for a single human lifetime (and thus massively imperfect, compared to the dragonewt process of many lifetimes). Thus an affinity per dragonewt stage, and new affinities only becoming available as the previous ones are mastered.
- --

Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_fairbruk.demon.co.uk