Re: Orlanth Dragonfriend

From: Kevin Blackburn <kevin_at_fairbruk.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:28:26 +0000

In article , Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com> writes
>Kevin Blackburn:

[Snip]

>>These magics seem best labelled Orlanth Dragonfriend.
>
>There's a difference between a follower of Orlanth Dragonfriend
>and an Orlanthi using Dragon magics. An Orlanthi can use
>dragon magics without having to be a member of the EWF cult
>of Orlanth Dragonfriend.

If the Dragon Magics are used outside the context of theistic magic, aren't they going to be at best "misapplied worship" and therefore a bit weak (which doesn't seem to be the case), or otherwise going to lose Argrath his theistic magic altogether. Or is this not equivalent to, say, a theist trying to use shamanistic magic. Or is Argrath just appealing to a hero's right to ignore such trivia?

If Argrath is using a theistic approach, then there has to be a divine patron involved, or he's worshipping dragons. That suggests an aspect of Orlanth, given Argrath's presumed devotion to him.

I grant you, there's other ways to explain matters, but hero questing to discover secrets of Orlanth Dragonfriend seems the most plausible, especially given a companion of Argrath at Dragonrise with the name Orlaront Dragonfriend. The secrets are presumably still be there in some tiny corner of the God Time, though perhaps well hidden by dragon-hating heroquesters.

(The above, in part, follows arguments other posters have made) - --

Kevin Blackburn                         Kevin_at_fairbruk.demon.co.uk