Orlanth the Lion

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:20:44 +0100

Jerome :

> Maybe Greymane's Orlanth did like Tada, kill the local lion spirit and take
> his skin and powers.
> Is it possible for a god to do that to a spirit?

Yes.

> That he be derived from Basmol or not isn't so important. Durbaddath fares
> very well without that. But there used to be Basmoli in Maniria, so there's
> a nice opportunity to invent a cool myth.

Indeed ! :-)

I myself think that the lion subcult must be a son of Orlanth and Hara, but this idea of taking extra lion oomf from the old Wenelian Basmoli is great!

The myth sort of writes itself, so it just has to be true.

Basmol hurts Orlanth ; Orlanth unhappy and can't do anything about it. Hara comes to darling Orlanth in lioness form and says don't worry dear. Copulation. Son appears : the Storm Lion, who goes to fight Basmol. Succeeds, kills/drives away Basmoli, and steals cool lion powers for the Storm Tribe.

The blue lions of Wenelia appear at the same time. They are actually a kind of greyish-blue ; with the oldest and strongest bulls being grey. They are rare creatures, but very strong ones : they prey on other carnivores for their meat (with a marked preference for eating other lion species), although they can survive on wild boar too. They are unafraid of humans, and quite willing to eat manflesh.

The Basmoli themselves tell that the Blue Lion god (Bruhu ?) is a son of Basmol and Hara who betrayed his father, joining the enemy Orlanth.

Julian Lord