Re: Kinslaying; LBQ

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:17:44 -0800

Peter Larsen

> I'm pretty sure Vadrus got to be so much of a pain that Orlanth killed
> him, then made Valind Vadrus's heir. Where I read this, I'm not so sure, so
> I could be wildly wrong. Anyway, as has been pointed out, Vadrus may well
> have been outlawed by the time Orlanth killed him, assuming Orlanth did.
> I'll look around and see if I can find a citation (unless someone else
> beats me to it).

Orlanth defeated, not killed, Vadrus. See Enclosure 2.

Matt

> In KoDP, you can run Orlanth and Aroka (where Orlanth fights Daga, his
> nephew) to "deal with the effects of kinslaying."

Do you think it works very well?

Olli Kantol

> > It's entirely possible they didn't
> > have Lightbringers at all until the God Learners introduced it
>> (nobody at all had this until Harmast, and he didn't get to Slontos
>> as far as I know). This would mean that there weren't 9 until the end
>> of the God Learners.
>
> Outrageous. ...or perhaps not, but I wouldn't leave good old Orlanth out
> of the picture yet. HE did it first, or maybe you are implying that
> Harmast somehow created a large part of Orlanthi mythology out of
> scraps. 'Cos then without Harmast the Orlanthi wouldn't have a proper
> ending that to their mythic past. Surely the LBQ was before Harmast tried
> it.

IIRC, before Harmast it was considered the Lifebringers Quest. It existed, but only in fragments (like the Kalevala before it was compiled into one epic).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein