Wenelians

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 22:13:14 -0000

Hi

Julian Lord in Glorantha digest v8#319:
>The myth sort of writes itself, so it just has to be true.
[the myth writes itself]

Cool myth! I like the Blue Lion stuff. The Lion King's Feast wasn't a metaphor...

Lion ecology
- ------------
Several lion species in Wenelia... but where do lions usually live? Are the Wenelian ones all Gloranthan forest species? Unfortunately there's no mention of those lions in Anaxial's Roster. As for manes, i suppose only the Blue Lions have one. The others may be those sneaky, cowardly animals who could be the typical losing bad guy in stories (usually "how the boar does this or that to the lion").

Peter Metcalfe:
>I would handle the Wenelians by giving them a boar _aspect_ to replace
>Orlanth Allfather (and perhaps Orlanth Thunderous).

IMG i'd like the fighting subcults to have that boar aspect (see below for bloody details) and the boar aspect would be fine for the Thunderer as well as Allfather. OTOH some Thunderer subcults can be awesome magicians with little or no boar-like powers (though the boar iconography may remain).

But is Orlanth Adventurous humanoid? Sort of human, adventurous, 'intelligent' aspect whereas the others are untamed, wild natural powers...

>The feats and affinities of this aspect are not dressed up Mralot's talents
>dressed up but different powers.

Surely they don't shapechange. But their boar feats are probably, well, boar-inspired so that Mraloti could have had something similar before they became oppressed, tamed pigs living under the Ramalian lords' boot. Kill a Wenelian with one blow. Wounded boars are really dangerous and pain really makes them mad... Ever seen a Wenelian warrior fighting and breaking his opponents' legs with three javelins stuck in his back? If a Wenelian is charging at you, jump and grab a branch. They can't climb trees when they're berserk. Yet it's possible that they break the trunk and kill you.
And they've got that terrible blow that spill your guts all around. Sometimes they open your belly and grab your intestines and fight one-handed, pulling them out with the other weapon or with their teeth. Beuark!
Of course, the warriors communicate with grunts.

Jerome