Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #324

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen1_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:47:15 -0600

In responding to Olli Kantola, Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> So? I'm not talking about the Torkani, I'm talking about the
> ordinary inhabitants of Boldhome. You inferred that I was saying
> that _all_ people in the cities were demon-worshippers. You
> were wrong.

snip
> And my actual argument (that the city folk _tolerate_ Uleria's
> presence) is completely and utterly wrong for what reason? If
> you don't have a problem with this, then why are you arguing
> about it?

    Forgive me, but is your tone here really necessary? It seems much more aggressive than it needs to be. Remember this isn't a real world, so insisting that someone must be wrong about something is a little tendentious.

>> IMO it's no like they are abandoning Ernalda, but supplementing her
>> worship with other goddesses.

> Why would they need to supplement her worship with other goddesses?
> She works just _fine_ in the city.

    In the RW, polytheistic cultures are instinctively inclusive. One worships as many gods as possible because not worshipping a god might offend her and so call down her down. So it seems to me that the Sartarites are going to lean toward inclusion unless they have a strong reason not to. As a goddess of love, Uleria has enormous ability to disrupt regular relationships, so imagine what an irate Uleria could do to a tribe that offended her. Cause a "plague of love" to sweep the tribe, making its members fall in love with inappropriate people? Wither the love-relationships of married couples? Bring fertility to the wrong people? All of these look like good reasons to not offend her.

    Another thing I've been thinking about is why urban Sartarites would worship her. There was some discussion a few weeks or so ago about the problems of forming a city out of different tribes with different traditions who have different ancestors. Since Uleria is a goddess of community, she seems like a natural patron for the creation of new communities. Perhaps her worship helps bind urban communities together. Perhaps she can also bind a disperate community of ancestors together.

Andrew E. Larsen