Hic sunt leones...

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:15:44 +0000

This is reaching the critical mass, so I'll try to make this a series of final posts.

> Basim is not "high in the mountains" but rather a hilly highland.

A hilly highland watershed continuing a mountain chain across the Pralor gap. Too mountainous for the Enerali to pursue the Basmoli any further.

> Between Basim and Maniria lies the impassable Mislari Mountains

Actually, east of Basim. Southeast of Basim there is a lot of forest, but not necessarily all of it elf forest.

> They would have to get through the land of the Pralori and/
> or Arstola forest to reach Maniria proper. Hence it's unlikely
> they were hunting as far away as the Solanthi Valley.

It is a strange hunter gatherer folk that keeps borders as solid as the Iron Fence between their hunting grounds. In a conflict between Basmoli and Pralori about right of passage, the Pralori will need an extraordinarily well prepared ambush to get my money.

Anyway, I find this notion of fixed borders between Pralori, Mraloti and Basmoli ludicrous. All of them are hunters and gatherers, and they will follow their preys' and harvests' trails.

Basmoli and Pralori probably are rivals for their preferred prey (unless there are forest cattle we haven't heard about yet, red deer or elk will be either group's favourite). Basmoli preying on Pralori probably is a common event along the overlap zone. Greater numbers of Pralori make sure that the Basmoli don't drive the deer hsunchen off.

Deer of whichever kind will travel into and through Basmoli area, and deer hsunchen are likely to follow now and then. Basmoli prides and especially bachelor groups will roam widely with little regard to borders.

There is little to stop them from skirting all the way along the elf forest.

The Mraloti have a similar situation along the Tarinwood border. Plus I get the impression that the outskirts of elf forests see a fair number of Hsunchen visits.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #326