Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #327

From: Martin Dick <Martin.Dick_at_Infotech.monash.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:34:39 +1000

> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:14:19 -0600
> From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
> Subject: Uleria
>
>> Andrew E. Larsen says:

> >Since Uleria is a goddess of community, she
> >seems like a natural patron for the creation of new communities. Perhaps
> >her worship helps bind urban communities together. Perhaps she can also
> >bind a disperate community of ancestors together.
>
> Far be it from me to interpret Mr. Metcalfe (he can do that for himself),
> but I think the point here is that Uleria is not (or is not seen by the
> Heortlings to be) a force of community. She is harmony, but that's within
> one person or perhaps between two people, not on the level of community.

Not quite the interpretation I get from Anaxial's Roster

  1. we have the Orlanthi Myth of Uleria (Love) conquering Disorder and Love binding all things and Acos making it law. To me, this represents community in some ways
  2. Tilnta/Uleri are said to be the Essence of Life and it says "Where a sense of community or friendship is weak, they will manifest as an essence to enhance it ..."

Now as Tilnta are not actually spirits or daimones or essences, just because they are taking a sorcerous form in this case, doesn't necessarily
mean they are taking a form which is rejected by the Orlanthi as it's not really sorcery and of course I see no reason why a tinta in the form of a love daimone might not do this as well.

It would seem likely to me that it's a case where Orlanthi differ quite a lot and a clan's relationship with Uleria would probably depend upon the clan's myths of how Uleria and Ernalda interacted in the God Time. Some would see her as a demon, some as positive influence, some as neither.

Martin