Keanos Orlanthi

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:51:09 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

> > Why would the Bemuri bother fooling around with Orlanth when Urox is
> > even a better fit to those bullish traits?

>Because Urox is a bad role model for an entire society.

There are Uroxi tribes mentioned in the Fortunate Succession. They don't have a problem with the bad role model (although everybody around them does).

>These peoples are called Orlanthi because Orlanth embodies the
>society's mores

The Bemuri are nowhere described as Orlanthi. The people in Keanos are described as Orlanthi but we do not know the proportion of Uroxi among them.

> > But since they have converted from animism to theism, no such
> > retention [of initiatory routine] is possible.

>Circular argumentation.

No, it's not. The initiatory route of the animists and theists visits the spirit world and the god plane respectively.

>"All" I want is a difference between the East Wilds Orlanth worship from
>other Orlanthi based on their hsunchen history. It would be the logical
>criterion for their difference, no?

So do I. But the suggestions you make (Orlanth is a cattle god in Keanos) are far too extreme IMO.

>Me> If the practices were misapplied, then their
> > worshippers would have never survived the Great Darkness.

>Misapplied worship works. It works better than correct worship to dead
>and unresponsive deities.

"Our normal rites to Orlanth don't work because he is dead and/or unresponsive. So we Wenelians use hsunchen magics to contact him and they work?"

>Isn't I Fought We Won what sets the Heortlings apart from the other
>Orlanthi?

No. Heort is worshipped among the Fronelan Orlanthi (AR p73).