Re: Orlanthi incest and Uleria

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen1_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:19:02 -0600

> From: stephen_at_stempest.demon.co.uk (Stephen Tempest)
> Subject: Uleria

> Incidentally: Heortlings are not allowed to marry members of their
> own clan, correct? Does the same prohibition apply to non-marital
> sex? If it does, then having a casual affair with anybody from the
> same village as you will count as incest. The only way for young
> Orlanthi to indulge in sexual experimentation will be to sneak off to
> another clan's tula - 20 miles away. In such a situation, Uleria
> cultists might have a major social role to play, especially if as
> worshippers of a "demon" they are treated as beyond the laws of kin,
> like Tricksters, and sleeping with one doesn't count as incest...

    You have a good point here, and I would be inclined to guess that the incest prohibition does extend to non-marital sex. Normally someone who would be an incestuous marriage partner would also be an incestuous sex partner. I don't know of any cultures that restrict the notion of incest purely to marital sex.

Andrew E. Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #333