Uleria

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_lyyra.kempele.fi>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:27:35 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, stephen_at_stempest.demon.co.uk (Stephen Tempest) wrote:

> > Quite honestly, I think the reference in TR to Uleria being a demon is
> >less persuasive than simply silly.
>
> Put it this way: how many fire-and-brimstone preachers in real-world
> Western Christian society have denounced prostitutes as servants of
<snip>
> Similarly, I can imagine traditionalist Heortling clan chieftains
> denouncing Uleria as a demon; and the average Sartarite might nod

Yes, but these Heortlings that you talk about are more likely to raid&pillage&burn things that they see as evil as are RW Western Cristians. That kind of talk might be dangerous since raiding cities and hunting down citizens in something that is bound to end up as lengthy lawsuits, retalliations from Lunars, fellow clans (whose kinsmen could live in cities), tribal ring (that has resources invested there) and other tribes.

Someone might argue that this is normal social interaction. I say that the Ernaldans and the Issarion have had a century to work out these problems and nowadays it's cool.

> Incidentally: Heortlings are not allowed to marry members of their
> own clan, correct? Does the same prohibition apply to non-marital
> sex? If it does, then having a casual affair with anybody from the

Good point. Even if lust and sexuality is not frowned upon, getting "hooked up" could be really hard. Even in our RL societies, where sex isn't certainly frowned upon, it isn't always easy. Young, eager, uncouth farmerssons, are going to have a hard time fulfilling those boasts! Ulerians could even be a handy way to channel away their interrest from women of their own clan.

Olli Kantola