Yee ha! Get the Uleriats, boys! There's a rodeo!

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:53:26 -0600

Mark Galeotti says:

>certainly not a light read (the author is a librarian and, true to
>caricature, favours accuracy and full citation over flair and fun), buried
>inside its rather flat prose is a huge store of ideas and possibilities.

        Grr. As a MLIS candidate in Library School in Texas, them's fightin' words....
It sounds like an interesting resource. I'd expect the Heortlings to be more friendly toward daimons, but that might be a good source of spirit interactions (how does the average theist deal with spirits? Leaving out a little milk and hoping for the best might be the way, rather than dragging Krazy Knut down from Thunder Hill where he spent last winter wearing bark breeches and talking to rocks....

Hervé Ancelin says:

>Uleria is tainted with Disorder, so what ? what about a Trickster ?
>Is Eurmal a demon ?

        Well, sort of, yes. The only reason Eurmal has a place in Heortling society is because Orlanth took Eurmal in (under much more strict conditions, you'll note, than the aceptance of any of the other Lightbringers.

>Order is not a dominant characteristic of Heortlings. Order is
>a characteristic of THE bad guy aka the oppressive evil emperor.

        The Emperor is about unyielding, opressive order. The Heortlings are quite an orderly people, but it's an order based on motion and balance, between Air's movement and Earth's stability. Disorder is disruption of that moving balance.

>To have a Trickster in your clan is both a blessing and a curse
>but the balance is positive.

        Only as long as the Trickster is kept well beaten (or dressed in a horse costume for that Elmal cermony... "A Trickster's lot is not a happy one (happy one))."

>So must it be with Uleria.

        Uleria is a foreign god, Eurmal isn't.

>Marriage, Lust and Love are three different concepts.
>
>Lust is rejected. This is supported by the myth in which
>Ragnalar is driven mad in the pit of Sex.
>
>Marriage is looked for as supported by myths with Ernalda.
>
>The only myth about Love that I know is Uleria and the Boggles
>It is clearly a myth accepted by Heortling even if it is a GL construct.

        There's Orlanth's acceptance of Ernalda's ways, and his desire for peace after seeing Barntar born.

>IMO Uleria protects Marriage from Lust by Love.
>If Uleria is denied, the community will be a prey to Thed and
>succubus.

        Uleria, I think, has nothing to do with marriage. I doubt any culture on Glorantha would use her to sanctify a marriage. (Venus/Aphrodite, for example, was not the marriage goddess of either Romans or Greeks.)