Bemuri

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:19:06 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

> >The Bemuri are nowhere described as Orlanthi.

>Correct. After 360, they have disappeared from the maps, instead we hear of
>East Ralian Orlanthi faithful to the Council in a region never occupied by
>Vustrians around 430.

The fact that the Ralian Orlanthi have bad memories of Arkat _today_ is not evidence they were Orlanthi in 430. I generally view their conversion to the current state as being a long process after the Chaos Wars.

> >But the suggestions you make (Orlanth is a cattle god
> >in Keanos) are far too extreme IMO.

>I envisioned Orlanth as bull-flavoured storm god among the former Bemuri.

If anybody should be a bull, it is Urox who already comes with Bull associations. Why are the Bemuri going to force Orlanth into the risible role of a Bull when they can take on the worship of Urox? This has an added bonus that Urox is more receptive to animistic traditions than Orlanth.

>A bull's fertility rather than a ram's or an alynx's.

Orlanth is not worshipped as a ram or an alynx anywhere as yet. The Ram is associated with Heler or Voriof while the Alynx is associated with Yinkin. Orlanth in the lands of the Talastings looks pretty much like Orlanth in Heortland or Lankst. The Boar Orlanth of the Wenelians is so described because he is an unusual form of Orlanth (although the Hawk Orlanth of the Fronelans would have also been worthy of mention in the Glorantha: Intro had I known about it), and not that Orlanth normally takes the form of animals outside Heortling myth.