Wenelians

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:19:20 +1200

>From: "Joerg Baumgartner" <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>

> >It's inferred from the fact that there are no Mraloti in
> >Daran and the Mraloti now live in Ramalia where they were not
> >mentioned at the time of the Broken Council.

>Why not during the start of the Bright Empire?

Which is when? More importantly there's nothing to show that the Bright Empire even ruled this region (FS Map p21) during its long life.

>The Enerali seem to have
>adopted Orlanth and Ernalda during this time, too.

I really don't see the evidence for the Enerali becoming Orlanthi at this time (or any other time).

> >>Several Vingkotling groups managed to lose hold on Orlanth.
>
> >Which ones?

>Best known are the Kodigvari, whose successors' hold on Orlanth is slight,
>to say the least.

They still worshipped Orlanth correctly.

>Quite a few of the starlight tribes disappeared, and not
>necessarily all of them into chaos or troll maws.

I'm sorry but I am asking for examples of Vingkotling groups that forgot Orlanth and took up the worship of another god rather groups that were exterminated during the Great Darkness or before. You claimed there were "several" of these groups but when pressed, you name only one group (which still worships Orlanth). There's quite a disparity between what you claim and the actual evidence for your claim (that other Orlanthi groups did what you allege the Wenelians to have done).

> >Look at the Player's Book: Genertela. If there had been Ramali
> >farmers, they would still be worshipping Orlanth.

>Players' Book: Genertela has no Pelaskite ("islander") fisherfolk in
>Heortland or Malkioni in Nochet, either, yet they exist.

Well since there is no specific regional character generation system for either Nochet or Heortland as opposed to a _specific_ table for Ramalia, the argument against the lack of any mention for Ramalian Orlanthi is decidely shakey.

> >The initiatory route of the animists and theists
> >visits the spirit world and the god plane respectively [hence
> >it's impossible for animists to retain any part of their
> >initiatory routine when they convert to theists].

>I was talking about Otherworld perception (how do we reach Orlanth's
>stead? Do the Wenelians come as Pigs in Air?).

Orlanth's stead lies entirely on the God Plane. It is not a matter of perception but a real and verifiable fact. Some parts of the Storm Realm are matters of perception but not all of them. Hence the Orlanthi cannot visit Orlanth's realm in the Spirit Plane.

> >"Our normal rites to Orlanth don't work because he is dead and/or
> >unresponsive. So we Wenelians use hsunchen magics to contact him
> >and they work?"

>Yes.

But the normal rites to Orlanth are the correct rites to use. So why should the _wrong_ rites be any better when Orlanth is "dead and/or unresponsive"?