Bemuri

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 17:54:08 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner

> > Why are the Bemuri going to force
> > Orlanth into the risible role of a Bull when they can take
> > on the worship of Urox?

>At least that Urox would be a lot more Orlanthish than Heortling Urox,
>with aspects of a cultural deity - and that's somehow outside of his
>normal behaviour.

The already mentioned Uroxi tribes notwithstanding? Hell, there have even been peoples that followed Vadrus so why Urox can't be a cultural deity?

> > Orlanth is not worshipped as a ram or an alynx anywhere
> > as yet. The Ram is associated with Heler or Voriof

>Or Orolmarn

Orolmarn is not a Ram and nothing in Thunder Rebels says he is.

>or Pelorian Erlandus.

The "Sexual Monster of the South" with visible intestines? Nothing bovine there.

>The Lastralgortelli defeat has been attributed to Urvairinus.

Urvairinus fought the Ram People and their Iron Ram deity. TR p149 mentions the existence of the Iron Helerings in Sylila, who are distinct from the Vingkotlings living in Kerofinela. Since Rams are sacred to Heler, this is not evidence of Orlanth-as-a-Ram.

> > Orlanth in the lands
> > of the Talastings looks pretty much like Orlanth in
> > Heortland or Lankst.
>
>Due to intensive cultural exchange, voluntary or by force.

No. Simply because Orlanth is human.

> > The Boar Orlanth of the Wenelians
> > is so described because he is an unusual form of Orlanth

>Though not the only such. Pelorian myth has various such forms.

I don't see anything in Pelorian myth that has Orlanth appearing as a beast.

> > and not that Orlanth normally takes the
> > form of animals outside Heortling myth.

>The association of Orlanth with various beasts is present even in
>Heortling myth. Check Orolmarn in Thunder Rebels (p.235):

Since that does not involve Orlanth taking the form of a beast of any kind, this is simply irrelevant.

>While Peter probably will deny this, this reinforces my impression
>that the Vingkotlings saw themselves as the Ram Orlanthi.

Your impression is wrong. In Heortling myth, Vingkot is associated with Bulls (AR p175: The Migration Downland).

>What do we know about the period of the Hidden Kings? Vingkotlings
>survived by taking beast shape.

No, they didn't. The "Hidden Kings" resort to shapeshifting but nothing is said about the Vingkotlings as a whole.