Anti-spam measures

From: gjr_at_thestableyard.net
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 05:01:30 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

Sorry to interrupt the discussions briefly, but I (and from the mail others) are getting increasingly worried about the amount of spam our little group is currently attracting. Now I'm fighting this as best I can behind the scenes - complaining to ISPs, etc. - but it seems to be having little effect. At the minute I can only see three options (which aren't necessarily exclusive) :

  1. Do nothing.
  2. Add anti-spam filters to the incoming mail. This is fairly low level stuff, so I'd need root access to the machine to do this. Given I don't have that access to chaosium.com, this probably means moving the digest to a new domain which I do control. If that happens, I'll try to organise for messages to the old address to be forwarded.
  3. Block non-subscribers from posting. I realise that for various good reasons people want to post from addresses that aren't subscribed, so in addition this would involve setting up a new list glorantha-digest-no-email. If you are subscribed to this list you can post, but will not receive any messages.

As I said, we could also do 2 and 3. None of this will happen quickly - we need to decide what to do, then I and the good people at Chaosium need to make the changes.

Feel free to discuss this here, but please let me know your favoured option by e-mailing me directly at the address below. I'll keep track of votes.

Cheers,
Graham

Glorantha Digest Moderator