Re: Not tonight ...

From: Herve.Ancelin_at_skf.com
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 16:14:43 +0200

>Peter Larsen

>When Uleria has appeared in rules and scenarios, it's been (mostly) in
>conjunction with prostitution.

Is it why you want to get rid of her ?

>Sex is a major part of what She's about,

In Glorantha, everything exists because there is a myth about it. You don't want Uleria worship among Heortling so who is the god/goddess of Love and/or Sex ? What myth support this ? Ernalda can't as she is the Marriage/Fertility goddess and that is different from Love and Sex.

>Besides, don't you think prostitutes deserve a goddess? Bureaucrats have
>at least one in Dara Happa....

DH certainly have, she may be linked to Uleria altougth that's not mandatory. IMO, it would be a lower class cult and offically suppressed. However that's not needed in Sartar where there is no prostitute. Was it so difficult to update the cult description to explain that Uleria worship isn't the same as whoring.

>there are plenty of deities that serve Her functions, and serve them
in ways that are actually in tune with the culture

Which one ?

>The bulk of the published Uleria references are, as far as I know, in
>the Entekosiad and have to do with Pelanda, not Maniria or any other Orlanthi
>stronghold.

Uleria wasn't renamed as was Yelmalio/Elmal/Tharkantus. Names and even the goddess could be different but that's not mandatory.

>So why the insistance that Uleria has to be somehow central to Heortling life?

Nobody said that.

>Why are you upset that one culture's deity is demonized by another culture?

I disagree that Uleria isn't Heortling.
Demonizing the DH or Lunar Goddess of Prostitutes is OK.

>Why does this irk you so much that you want to get personal over it?

I can't say for Mikko but he isn't the only one upset by this. Worse than politically correct =:-O , removing Uleria and downplaying Lightbringers focus Heortlings on Orlanth and Ernalda, only concerned with cows, clans and marriage :-(.
That is killing the fun. I like Heortlings because of the 15 % hippy cults. I don't care about the cults economy, in fact I don't care about any economy. Uleria cult is funny, like lead coins, like Ducks, sorry Durulz, like silly place names. Why change this ?

Hervé Ancelin