Return of the Newbie: Elmal?

From: Tuna Artun <tuna_at_freeze.com>
Date: 3 Apr 2001 01:38:12 -0000

Hi there all,

First, I'd like to thank everyone for the great many emails I've received regarding my questions. The Gloranthan community proved to be much more vibrant&active than I had expected and this will definitely make running my very first RQ game alot easier (and fun--I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes)

In any case, several people have pointed out to the fact that Elmal is the chief god worshipped by the Aranwyth. So for the past few days I've been searching the web for information on that particular deity. So far, I did manage to locate two cult write-ups for Elmal that were great for a starter.

What I'm currently clueless about is how the cult of Elmal operates within the broader Orlanthi faith? I mean, alright, the Aranwyth -are- Elmali, but why? It doesn't make any sense (at least for me) from a religious point of view, because after faithfully looking after Orlanth's stead while that god was away, Elmal was given the responsibility of patrolling the Great Tula and the underworld--that makes him a very important deity, but Orlanth is clearly -the- king of the Gods. So howcome a society that accepts the Orlanthi pantheon primarily worship a god who's subserviant to another?

Hope that question made sense. I'd also appreciate if someone could enlighten me about what the relationship between Elmali and the Yelmalio-worshippers are? I dont quite get how the latter is present in the Dragon Pass if Elmal is accepted as the Sun God?

Once again, thanks alot for your support.

Tuna

Want free email? Sign up at http://www.freeze.com !

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #344