Uleria continued

From: Herve.Ancelin_at_skf.com
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:18:17 +0200

Peter Larsen

>>>When Uleria has appeared in rules and scenarios, it's been (mostly) in
>>>conjunction with prostitution.

>> Is it why you want to get rid of her ?

>I want to move her out of Heortling myth becasue I don't think she belongs
>there. It's similar to the reasons why I'd rather not have prostitution as
an
>institution in Orlanthi lands; it's unnecessary and culturally
inappropriate.

I think everybody agree to this. What irks is that you equate prostitution to Uleria worship (which is a DH idea) and then deduce that there is no Uleria worship in Sartar.

>For sex, try Niskis and Yinkin for men; I'm not sure about for women,
>but I'll bet there's a subcult of Ernalda that covers it.

Why not keep Uleria without the prostitution aspect. It would have been easy
enough to say that the brothel temple have been introduced by the Lunar in the same way than the Irripi Ontor annexes to Lankhor My temples.

>> Was it so difficult to update the cult description to explain that
>> Uleria worship isn't the same as whoring.

>I suppose not, but it's easier to discard her altogether,
>at least in Sartar.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers but :

Will the people writing about Glorantha ever learn that changing the background must be done with care to avoid uselessly hurting fans like with Elmal/Yelmalio or the Red Emperor (among others).

Saying "this former publication is from X point of view but from Y point of view ...." is easier to accept than "scrap everything based on former publication. My point of view is the only point of view."

>The point is not Uleria's name; the point is her most notable references
are
>from a different culture than the Orlanthi/Heortlings. Shargash gets a
role in
>Orlanthi stories, but he's not part of the Storm Tribe.

Among the Lightbringers, only Orlanth is from the Storm Tribe. Chalanna Arroy is also Dara Happan and her philosophy completely outside the Heortling way. Do you plan to reduce her worship to ten initiates in towns also ?

>Really, I think the fun is just starting. I like cows, clans, and
>marriages a great deal more than the "cut and paste and damn the
>economy" world of Apple Lane.

Could this be the core disagreement ?
I don't care about these large stinky beast not even safe to eat nowdays while Apple Lane is what turned me off D&D. Clan life is so boring that the Heortling invented the raids and feuds.

>The great thing about Glorantha is its ability to make even ridiculous
>things (e.g. Ducks) work in a fairly serious setting. The general
>seriousness and cohesiveness of the setting enliven the "silly" bits
>of Glornatha, not the other way around.

Either way why completely erase an "enliven silly bit" rather than rationalize it ?

>I don't think Uleria is a "funny" cult; I find sticking her randomly
>into a culture distracting, pointless, and, for that matter, degrading
>to her concept. She should be more than that.

Do you realize than erasing it without a Gloranthan explanation is as much or more distracting and pointless than it's groundlessness was.

>>Jerome Blondel says:

>>What strikes me is that Uleria is the power of Free Love. I get the
>>impression that in Ernalda and Orlanth's views, Love is just the tool to
>>achieve harmony and fertility. They teach magic so that Love be used
>>properly for that purpose, but if your husband/wife ain't a good match
>>for you, you better give up.

>I don't buy this. Love for his family is something that rises up out of
>Orlanth,not something done to him.

But Orlanth gets his lightning from Lightning Boy, Death from Humakt and so on. He gains wisdom in the well of Daliah IIRC so why not Love from Uleria ?
I would buy Uleria as the adviser to who Orlanth and Ernalda turns when they have relationship problem in the same way than Issaries deals with trade, Lankhor My with knowledge and so on.

>>Ernalda and Orlanth have to unite each other so as to get to that
>>achievement. Uleria can argue that she's the power between both. She's

>In a Godlearnerish way. I don't think the Orlanthi believe this. "No one
>can make you do anything." "Love" that is diected by some sort of outward
>force would be unattractive to many Orlanthi.

But they wouldn't mind to Fertility, Combat, Knowledge, Craftmanship, etc ?

Hervé Ancelin