Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #350

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 10:47:54 -0700

At 11:45 AM 4/6/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I don't remember where I got this notion, but I thought I read something
>official, a long time ago that said Hrelar Amali was where Flamal lived (or
>maybe where he died, but since he's a tree, I'd think they would be the
>same). Isn't this in G:CotHW? Maybe I'm thinking of just a reference to
>_a_ (as opposed to _the_) Great Tree.

As far as I am concerned, this is rumor/subjective and is not a Truth in my Glorantha (yet?). TGMV

>Also, isn't the pass through the Mislari mountains through the Wonderwood?
>After all, the Arstola elves don't want any nasty humans using it for
>trading between Ralios and Wenelia, because they have seen how settlements
>inevitably spring up along trade routes (e.g. the Trader Princes). So, they
>set up the Wonderwood over a long period of time to have lots of magical
They have been protecting it, actually. They didn't "set it up" and certainly not since history began.

>guardians and a fearful reputation. No one is terribly surprised if you go
>in and don't come back.

This is correct.

>Is there a "Hidden King" quest that lets an Orlanthi shapeshift?
I am sure such a thing couple constructed but please understand that the tales of the shapeshifting Hidden Kings is remembered as a Bad Thing. It is desperate measures for a doomed lineage. Of course, if your hero was destined to love that Telmori gal, then you might have a good reason to try it...

>>So are there myths among the western Hsunchen about the times when they were
>>ruled by the King of the Animals (a.k.a. the Lion a.k.a. Basmol)?
>
>Yes, I believe so.
>
>>If so, were they good times, bad, or what?
>
>I'm not remembering the specific details of Pendali overlordship
>(Joerg knows better than I), but I suspect that every hsunchen
>culture has a "How Our Totem Killed Basmol" myth (just because
>everyone in Glorantha has a "Death of Basmol" myth)...
The Pendali are actually a branch of the Basmoli that is of humans who can turn into lions. In the Great Darkness the most fierce and terrible creatures tended to come out ahead, and the Pendali were part of the (so called) "Basmoli Empire" that ruled huge swaths of territory (at least according to Seshnelan legend).

>P.S. I remember reading somewhere that Aroka = Oslir, but can't find it. Is
>that true or should I have my medication adjusted?
TR 144.