Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #352

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 08:20:42 -0700

At 11:45 AM 4/8/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I think it more plausible that the Hidden King had obtained
>a magical shirt that allowed him to transform into a Raven,
>>I think this episode is code for folks reverting to hsunchenism.
It could be.
But as noted, not all animal shapechanging is hsunchen. As "Vadrus and the Logic Tribe" shows, the Orlanthi know that some animals are god-originated, not just hsunchen.

>Wolf or somesuch so he could eat foods that no human could.
>Eventually the corpses ran out and he began preying on his
>own people. This has the advantage in that it rings true
>to the Orlanthi tradition while turning Hsunchen does not.
This is very close to what I know of it. I know I was inspired to this by the Sigurd and Sinfjoti story where they become wolves.
And the animosity of the last Vingkotlings (wolves) with the first Heortlings, who were deer(-like), is not an accident. Ravens too eh! That makes them even a bit worse. Perhaps Heort was aided byt he red breasted swans too.

>Raiding, on the other hand, might actually be a pretty good idea -- if all
the
>Orlanthi are gone, it's a great time for the neighbors / non-Orlanthi in your
>clan to try and raid the cattle.

Orlanthi rituals always include outriders and defenders who are members and participants, blessed with Orlanth's power even though they are performing the duties in the ordinary world. So those several guards will probably be highly charged with magic for their tasks that day.

Which DOES mean that you can participate in your holy rituals even if you are far away form the temple, as long as your narrator allows it. Some religons even plan far ahead so that their key worshippers get this holy day bonus on the day they do their job. Humakti, for instance, may plan for an assault on a holy day because they will get their god's bonus. They don't have to go to the Underworld ot be with him that day: they ARE him.