OT: book burning

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:41:51 +0200

This is something that has been eating at me before.

> Daughters of Darkness (and matches or a lighter)

Book burnings make me very uneasy, ritual or not, "good" or "bad" book. The defense "it's freedom of expression" is false. You can express your dislike of a book in many other ways, but when you burn a book you deprive others of the right to form their own opinion and subsequently express it. Thus, burning a book is an atempt to quench freedom of expression.

Burning one copy may seem innocent enough, but one day the _last_ copy falls prey to the flames. A book burning is a disgrace, but intelligent well-educated people defending it is a tragedy.

Think about it and then go read Fahrenheit 451.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?