Re: Kinslaying, Yelm

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:02:21 +0100 (BST)

Peter Mcaveney:
> Since Yelm is only a distant relative of Orlanth, I never bought the idea that
> slaying him led to the chaos problem.

"Wandering Sun, Jealous Uncle..."

Orlanth's grandpappy is Aether, Yelm's dad. So that makes them him his cuzuncle, cousin once removed (brother once removed??), or whatever that relationship's called, exactly.

So not exactly a "distant" relative, by the lights of the definitions that say a group of around 1000 people is your "close kin". (Incorrect definitions in certain respect, mind you, IMG. But that's another post, which at current rate I'll be making in about September.)

On Vadrus: while I agree his "current" death was at the hands (tentacles, other) of some large entropic chaotic mass, wasn't there a reference someplace (I can't recall where) to Orlanth warning Vadrus "Don't make me come over there and kill you again!". (Presumably this was a "death" before Death entered the world.)

Cheers,
Alex.