Illumination

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:05:04 +1200

Peter Larsen:

>Let's see if I have this right. The Pelorians have a tradition of
>mysticism (maybe from the contemplation of Dayzatar).

They had several: The ascetic Dayzatar monks, the Jernotian Mountain Sages and Yelm is mentioned as being Illuminated long before the Sunstop (GRAY p37 although it's not known whether there was a mystical path associated with this, it doesn't matter anyway).

>These traditions got a big boost during the Bright Empire, because
>they interfaced well with the teachings of Nysalor.

Well the Jernotians were at odds with the Bright Empire (Entekosiad p90) to such an extent that Pelanda became the Land of Shadows to provide balance against the Empire of Light.

The Dayzatarans were stuffy conservatives who refused to have anything to do with the God Project (Erzanelm's reign FS p20).

As for the popularity of Nysalor:

         Incorporation of Yelmic Rites into the Dorastan Rites:
         avidly welcomed and incorporated.  Nysaloran Rites
         (especially in Saird) combine multiple cultures.  These
         rites are well-attended in Dorastor and Saird, but much
         less elsewhere, and poorly through most of Dara Happa.
         The popularity in Saird and Darani must be modified by
         remembering that both were thinly populated.
                         FS p77

There were the Make Me a Duke sects but these are mob-creeds that stem from misunderstanding Nysaloran philosophy (i.e. follow Nysalor and you will actually be a Duke!!).

So it doesn't look like the Pelorian traditions received a big boost because they were compatible with Nysalor. It's like arguing that Christianity and Judaism received a big boost from Mohammed...

>The most famous form of Illumination, for RQ players, was the form
>taught by the Riddlers, who essentailly offered the experience
>of Illumination without any moral, ethical, or philosophical framework.

You really have to show that Riddlers were around in Nysalor's time and not a post-Nysaloran development caused by the survival of some of his teachings and the eradication of others.

>As a result, many people from the Bright Empire fell into Error and became
>more emeshed in the world rather than seeking release from it.

What happened was that the Tanisorans far beyond its borders (at the western edge of the friendly Dari Alliance in Ralios) were accused of introducing a terrible plague. When Arkat made war upon them, the kings turned to Vampirism and other forms of chaos to save their people. The Bright Empire itself was horrified (when Nysalor heard about it, he composed a sermon "at the edge of light is always darkness") and condemned Tanisor.

Arkat however was unconvinced and continued his war. Even though the Bright Empire tried to stop him countless times with armies and magics, he always came back and was stronger too.

         "The successes of Arkat in his approach to the heartland
         of peaceful Dorastor caused increasing alarm among the
         populace and leaders.  The people panicked, grasping
         desperately for any remedy, leaving themselves open to
         the temptations of the Dark Side.  Thus, ironically,
         Arkat himself transformed a hitherto blameless people into
         the corrupt empire he had sworn to destroy."
                         Dorastor: LoD p9-10.

I also should point out that manifest mysticism does not seek release from the world but rather unification with it. Despite this, it is not corrupt.

>They sought after power, abused their gnosis, and "misapplied" mystic
>teachings in theist settings.

Why the needless confinement of illumination to "theistic" settings? Illumination would also be effective in Sorcerous and Animistic Cultures.

>So Illumination is essentially Pelorian Mysticism, but the
>most common form (at least to players) is the debased teachings of the
>Riddlers. Is this basically it?

It depends whether you are talking about Illumination in the rules sense (HW:RiG p221) or what the Pelorians say about it. In the former usage, Illumination is not essentially Pelorian Mysticism.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #372