Flesh Man

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:35:23 -0000

Hi

Topi Pitkanen:

>In many ways I quite _like_ not knowing so much about Him.
>That way there is more room for imagination, game, horror etc.

I'm especially teased by the 'horror' possibilities. If you've got any idea, expand please... :-)

>Nevertheless, Flesh Man is bound to be important mythic figure.

In the Sartar High Council writeup in Wyrms Footprints, Flesh Man stands for the common people, those who are not runies. What we know about him is that he went mad because he (fore)saw someone die. Maybe the 'someone' was himself (which makes sense if he represents humanity). So he went to the Underworld, because it's the normal thing to do when you're dead. And Chalana Arroy followed him to heal him. And so on.

>Is there more mythos to him, or is the LBQ his singular appearance.

It is, as far as i know.

>Ever since I took to idea of LBQ-parts as potential HeroQuests
>I've been wondering about the parts least likely to be in "common"
>use... Flesh Man heroquest might be desperate and perilous heortling
>possibility to foresee "the dark future" (and that way find out
>about the lunar plots and shepelkirtian schemes and blue assassins).

I like this idea, though probably you'd need to know what exactly the role of Flesh Man on the full quest consists in. What sort of guy plays that role, to begin with?

Maybe the quest to foresee the dark future (possibly involving either a Humakti or Chaos participant killing someone else or many people or you) will make the questor go permanently mad and the godar will have a hard time interpreting his ravings. Such rites are probably full of horror, as you suggested, and the Heortlings may shun them if there's another way (especially the violent one).

Too bad that i don't remember what they say in Thunder Rebels. Have you looked at the list of Argrath's Companions during the LBQ? Maybe the Fleshman's name here sounds evocative.

Jerome