Illumination

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:25:09 -0700

Nice synopsis Peter,

I will tackle it piece by piece.

At 11:45 AM 4/21/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 10:08:06 -0500
>From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
>Subject: Illumination
>
>Greg Stafford says:
>
>>In fact, Illumination IS a form of mysticism.
>>See Hero Wars p 221.
>
>Let's see if I have this right. The Pelorians have a tradition of mysticism

Better: they have a tradition of transcendant practice within their theist religion whose sphere of activity is the same as that of mysticism (a system).

>(maybe from the contemplation of Dayzatar).
A transcendant aspect of a deity.

>These traditions got
>a big boost during the Bright Empire, because they interfaced well with the
>teachings of Nysalor.

No, not at all. Most of the traditional transcendant cults quickly or finally rejected Nysalor as their messia, prophet, messenger, member or even as carrying the same message.

>The most famous form of Illumination, for RQ players,
>was the form taught by the Riddlers, who essentailly offered the experience
>of Illumination without any moral, ethical, or philosophical framework.
No, this isn't right.
Riddling was actually a part of a larger practice that was (through historical accident or effort) isolated from its practice although not devoid of its power.

>As a result, many people from the Bright Empire fell into Error and became
>more emeshed in the world rather than seeking release from it. They sought
>after power, abused their gnosis, and "misapplied" mystic teachings in
>theist settings.

These things occurred, but not because of a failing in the system, etc as implied. Failing? Yes, certainly.

>So Illumination is essentially Pelorian Mysticism, but the
>most common form (at least to players) is the debased teachings of the
>Riddlers. Is this basically it?

No, as I have shown.
"Pelorian Mysticism" is the transcendant aspect of the Yelmic and Lodrilite religions.
Illumination is a fragmentary practice of a mystical practice that is not effectevely known to day (although systems have come up since then to deal with Illumination.)

>It seems to me that the Lunar mystic schools are an attempt to redeem some
>of these teachings, since they seek to Include, rather than Refute, the
>World. They are, however, providing (I would guess) the moral, etc
>framework that Riddling lacks.

Yes, these exist. Many of these were introduced during the era of Sheng Seleris, who notably transplanted cults an dpractices back and forth in his empire for various reasons.