Illumination, cont.

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:29:42 -0700

At 08:27 AM 4/23/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 06:16:39 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Arkati Illumination
>
>Peter Metcalfe:
>>I did once play around with the Arkati being
>>the reverse of this (having refute but no
>>understanding of how to use it to attain
>>truth) but it didn't fit Arkat's actions.
>
>It seems like there is an interesting play here, but I can't quite get a
grasp on it. Somehow, Iluminated
Please forgive me if I am going to greg myself here, but in fact arkat was not illuminated in the same manner as Nysalor. In fact, "Illumination" when used as the crazy-making insight known from the RQ fragments, is the wrong term to apply to Arkat.

>Arkat was able to be a sequential fanatic. First he
>believed X absolutely, then Y absolutely, without any hint that he
previously believed X absolutely.
Wrong assumption here.
Of course there were hints, consequences and so on.

>Although cynics might say that he believed nothing in particular,
You will never find me saying this.

>I think he is far more interesting and credible if he was The True
Believer in each instance.
As I believe he was.

>Chalking this ability up to some form of illumination
>or mystical insight feels right,

One or the other, though those are not necessarily the same things.

>but I can't see the
>mechanism. It is almost like he moved horizontally
>between two truths, neither of which were terribly
>transcendant.

I am hoping it will be more clear in the revised Hero Wars mystic rules.