from HW mailing list: why is everyone...

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_lyyra.kempele.fi>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 18:29:04 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 3 May 2001, KYER, JEFFREY wrote on Hero Wars mailing list:

> gamartin_at_nortelnetworks.com wrote:
> >
> > Uurgh, I hate that. the real world has that problem in spades; in
> > RPG I;d much rather just get the straight dirt and know that I am
> > making informed decisions, instead of trying to piece together which
> > bits are/may or are not/may not be "true". I have no interest in
>
> You're probaly not going to be terribly happy with the Hero Wars in
> Sartar then. There's a LOT of Argraths and they are all valid rulers.

Cut of some groovy stuff on Argrath...

I don't think that future rulers are that big of a problem. Different paths and choices for the future are nice and it will be cool to play a part in their making, but that's not the same thing as ambigiety of the background material. I like some of it, but it bothers me that many times I don't know answers to some basic questions that arise during gameplay. Now I know a thing or two about Glorantha and a thing or two about gamemastering so I can hide the problem for a while or think up some temporal solution for the problem and afterwards retreat back to the scrolls and put a leather sheet over my head and think. I often come up with a suitable solution, but sometimes winging it when we are playing sways too much towards MGF or isn't logical or reasonable at all.

> There is an unfortunate tendency that's been arising of wishing things
> to be carved in stone or handed down from on high once and for all that
> I sort of find disturbing. (Thus Spake Greg, thus Shall It Ever Be So).
> Ambiguity has always been a part of the game world. I find that when you
> define everything, it loses much of its life. I don't want to play in a
> sterile museum where everything is laid out as facts. Its boring. It
> also limits a gamemaster's room to maneuver, which is always a bad
> thing. I want _tools_ not _strictures_ or _scriptures_...

Yes ambiguity has always been a part of Glorantha, but as a GM I like to know certain things for sure so I can buil on them. I think I know some basic facts now, but when I was more of a newbie my Glorantha had things that I would never put there now. So I want a foundation to build on and preferrable some regulations, so I don't forget about radon gases or insulation if I am new to this building houses thing.

The new HW books have IMO given more guidelines and more definite answers to many questions I have had in my mind for some time now, but that doesn't mean that if I don't like something I won't change it.

Olli Kantola