Archaic cults

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_lyyra.kempele.fi>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 23:10:00 +0300 (EEST)

After listening to someones friendly suggestion and dropping a bore to this unsuspecting list (yes, I'm sorry) I have a real question or maybe not a question but something to ponder upon.

It seems to me, from what I have read from Thunder Rebels, that ancient cults or more primal aspects of gods have some similar qualities. I have Orlanths aspects in my mind. I don't have other samples to test this, so I would like to know opinions of others.

Their secrets appear to be more powerful or fundamental.

Varanorlanth can survive anywhere, even in foreign otherworlds. Orlanthcarl can do his job anywhere.
Orolmarn can follow his herds anywhere, even to the spirit world. Desemborth can escape any trap or cage.
Andrin can make overyone abide his justice. Dar and Ohorlanth may also be primal aspects. (Faithful is an aspect, but not a "cult".)

These secrets reflect the "original" or primal "version" of Orlanth. He is freedom, he is action. These aspects are also the basic things that Orlanth is about: independence, justice, sustenance, claiming what's rightful yours and kinship. These are powerful things, powerful symbols and therefore powerful magic.

But when we compare their affinities to modern ones, we find that they don't fit the current circumstances of the world very well. Varanorlanth truly rules the wildernes, but Tatout and Ormalaya fit better to current society. Their feats are more practical. This can also be observer in leadership cults of Dar, Vingot and Rex and in every other archaic aspect.

Maybe this is a world-wide trend. Cultures or cults that stick with ancient ways have powerful secrets, but useless magic. Dayzatar maybe a prime example. Brithini, etc. They don't exacly fit in the modern world, but they are certainly going away with a big bang!

Olli Kantola