Obligations upon a guest.

From: bjm10_at_cornell.edu
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:37:47 -0400 (EDT)

> Does it mean that if the guest refuses to repay, the host is no longer
> obligated to him and may feud with him?

I would say that incuring a weregild liability that the host must pay would qualify as an act that would abrogate the guest-host relationship. That is to say, while the host is liable for the weregild, he also has the right to turn the guest out. At that point, he may demand payment of the debt as if the guest were a strange Orlanthi or a foreigner, whichever applies.

Guests are bound by obligations as well as hosts. Recall the Tale of the Honest Thief.