Pentans

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 12:48:24 +1200

Terra Incognita:

> >I don't see the problem. IMO the modern tribes interpret the pact
> >as allowing them to herd other animals while the traditional tribes
> >feel that pact requires fidelity to the horse. Although the
> >traditionals may label the moderns traitors, the moderns would not
> >see it that way.

> From the View of the Pure Horse Tribe, Storm Tribe betrayed their way two
>Times,

Most Moderns are not Storm Worshippers. Traditional tribes are now rare in Pent which means that most of the 630,000 Solar Pentans (outnumbering the Storm Pentans at 230,000) are Moderns.

>First they abandoned Pure Horse Way after they were defeated by General
>Kastok,

The rise of the Moderns with their cattle-herds came long before Kastok's invasion. Secondly Kastok's wrath fell primarily upon the Pure Horse Tribe and almost destroyed them. Other tribes (both traditional and modern) were much less affected by Kastok's invasion.

>Second they dropped Worship of Kargzant and went to Worship of Mad Storm
>after Night of Horror.

         "Recently the Bronze-Sworded Prophet has arisen among us.
         He has persuaded the Four Winds to become part of Kargzant's
         Tribe.  Many Tribes have thus worshipped the Four Winds and
         are preparing to invade Peloria to free Sheng Seleris."
                         Glorantha: Intro p175

>My Problem is, How I can explain and replace Idea of "Kargzant was defeated
>by Lightfore in Bridle Conjunction" from the View of Yuthuppan Buseri to
>"ignorant Nomads" who don't have enough Celestial Lore.

We do have something of their Point of View (although it's tainted by Plentonius). The following is about what happened to the Hyalorings during the Bridle Conjunction.

         One Sacred Day, the sons of Vuranostum were summoned by
         Kargzant.  The god needed his faithful followers to fight
         against monster gods which had escaped the Underworld.
         The sons of Vuranostum knew their duty and they went into
         the sky realm to help their god against their enemy.  They
         fought against a great giant which destroyed armies with
         its shout, pierced a hundred with the tip of his spear, and
         slew ranks of heroes with his iron sword.

         Kargzant did not hesitate before a fight, and charged into
         the melee.  But the giant cheated, and it tripped the horse
         god, and tied it with steel ropes, then licked a cruel bit
         into its mouth and a bridle upon its head.  That way Kargzant
         was bound, and the horses of the world were trained, and the
         sons of Vuranostum and all the people of Kargzant were doomed
         to fall before the people of Oralanatus.

         After this, the movement of Kargzant in the Sky Realm was
         regular. [...].
                         GRAY p40

IMO the Pentans would remember the enemy they fought differently. A bull deity might be appropriate for most moderns while many tribes near Kralorela might remember fighting dragons.

>My another Problem is how I can explain about Wife of Sun, you know Dara
>Happans have Dendara, the Planet Goddess is his wife. Grazers know Ungariant
>a daughter of Orest is Wife of Yu-Kargzant.

Probably still La-Ungariant IMO.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #404