Re: Why discussions here have slowed

From: gjr_at_thestableyard.net
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:05:43 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 30 May 2001, David Cake wrote:

> > > I think I now understand why discussions here have slowed:
>
> I am suspicious that the slowdown appears to have roughly
> coincided with moving to subscriber only posting (people who are
> subscribed often post from slightly different addresses than the one
> subscribed). Graham, any idea how many messages have actually been
> bounced by the 'subscriber only' rule? Are they sent to you, or
> bounced silently - I would advise the latter if possible.
> Cheers
> David

My personal thought is that the [None] problem is more relevant. I've still to track down the exact cause of this, despite some helpful e-mails from various people (Thanks!). At least some of them are mails reaching the list but not being digested, and some interesting posts are being delayed - so far I think everyone has reposted successfully - but it doesn't help the flow of discussion much.

The other forums is definately an issue. A lot of discussions are taking place on HeroWars especially that should probably be here instead. There's also a tendancy for 'move it to the Digest' to be taken as 'drop it totally'. Now in many cases (cf. sobjectivity debate...) that's fine, but in other cases, the discussion is more relevant, just not on that group. HeroWars is also providing a scope for asking questions that used to be asked here. Now in some cases, this seems to me to be purely for the benefit of getting a quicker answer, rather than because the question has a particular relevance to that forum. Its probably worth noting that the Digest does tend to produce more in depth answers, and we do have around twice the number of subscribers (at last count), so there are lots of people who won't see the question at all on HeroWars.

The final point is, of course, that the Digest really hit its peak during the bad old days, publication wise. With products such as Thunder Rebels coming out, and an increasingly full schedule promised and being approximatly stuck to, its a lot easier to get your Glorantha fix elsewhere...

Cheers,
Graham