Re: Islamic Glorantha

From: Posselt, Theo (US - Foster City) <"Posselt,>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 10:39:13 -0500

Terra is a man of great knowledge... every time I read his post, I picture myself reading web sites about ancient religions written in Japanese, and I'm impressed with his fortitude in english.

I praise him, of course, because he's supporting my current bug-bear: reinforcing the islamic parallels of the Lunar empire.

Terra, Adept and I (mostly) discussed this a while ago on the herowars list. It might be useful searching for 'Gloranthan names' on the herowars archives. As a refresher, I had brought up the question (essentially) of what cultural names we could pull on, to suggest to the players the best implicit parallels to earth cultures.

I seem to recall that Adept and I basically agreed on the following parallels:
Lunar: Arabic
Carmanian: Persian/Iranian
Firespeech: Hebrew (possible replacement: Ancient egyptian?) Pelandan: ancient greek
Dara Happan: Sumerian
Darjiinian: 'soft' sumerian

An alternative concept would be:
Firespeech: Sumerian
Dara Happan: Hebrew
Darjiinian: Philistine/Phoenician/Canaanite

In any case, those were the thoughts at the time. Terra makes a couple more good points:
> We can
> see Lunar Empire start unlimitedly from Rinliddi as Army of
> Arabian Prophet
> Muhammed in RW. This parallel starts Islamic Lunar Empire.

I hadn't thought about that analogy before. So Rinliddi == Mecca? And by this parallel Glamour would be, I suppose, Damascus? It can't be Baghdad, because that's Iranian/Carmanian (in our analogy system). I don't know enough about Islamic history on this one - was Damascus ever the seat of an Caliph who ruled all of Islam? And if so, when?

Terra says some things I don't exactly understand:
> If we afford using parallel between Mongolian and Turkish, (and Sheng
> Seleris was Timur rather than Ghingis Khan.) we can apply
> Former Empire to
> Seljuk Turkey and Latter Empire to Ottoman Turkey.

I don't know enough history to follow this one. Wasn't Timur a Turk? What's the difference between Seljuk Turkey and Ottoman Turkey?

> Recently, I reread Nick Brooke's Carmanian Resources and I was rather
> embarrassed because he used quite a little parallel to RW
> Islam and Persia.
> I guess he think he should not use unfamiliar materials for
> refering to
> Europian Cultural Standards, IMHO that makes his work in a
> sense Imbalance.

So, are you embarassed because Nick didn't understand enough non-Europian history to correctly integrate the parallels?

> Chinese Influence to Middle Asia:
> Sheng Seleris's Image is greatly influenced from the
> Photocopy of Fortunate
> Succession, but that Statuette is made in the period of Tang
> Dynasty as
> Ancient Virtuous God-Emperor Yao...Don't arrogantly dare to think you
> conceive aesthetic sense of Ancients...

I'm confused here as well... who is being arrogant, exactly?

Regards,
Theo
- - This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. - If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #422