Lylket

From: Paul Anderson <pmanderson_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 23:50:35

>Derensev
>School is probably in Karse as the Lylket knowledge temple of
>the Imperial Age (the source of much Uz Lore) used to be there.

This proposition is certainly confused, but suggestive as a guide to research.

Lylket was not Karse, nor in Karse. In the early Imperial age [KoS p.182], Karse and Jisteel stood across the mouth of the Creekstream River, as it then was. They were controlled, around 700, by Ezkankekko.

But "During the disintegration of the experimental empires {RQComp p.18]... The Only Old One turned to destroy those foes of his gods who lived nearest to him. These were the _cities_ of Jadnor and Lylket, both of which fell to local forces, and the Clanking City..."
[emphasis mine]

While the dating is indefinite, it is surely much later than the age of Tanian's Victory. Therefore, Jadnor and Lylket were Jrusteli colonies, not in the early Shadowlands, but closer than any other stronghold of the Jrusteli (or the EWF). The connection with the Clanking City suggests they were in Heortland.

Can we be more precise? Yes. Jadnor is now represented by Ja(d)nsholm; archaeology will tell us if the river-island is its actual ruins. There is more question about Lylket; but I believe its lay somewhere near or below Backford on the Syphon. The Jrusteli settled on the Syphon; its uphill flow was useful for commercial and military purposes, and uniquely valuable for an effort to restore the Golden Age to the Inner Plane. (I doubt they caused the reversal; calling everything odd God-Learner is too easy.) If this settlement wasn't Lylket, we have no notion of its name.

Metcalfe's confusion is doubtless caused by the numerous books in Karse still bearing Lylket shelfmarks. There is a much simpler explanation: The Heortlings who actually took Lylket respected Lankhor Mhy and his temple; so the Lylket library was neither looted nor burned. However, they had no use for a sea-port, and permitted the city to decay. Without the resources of a city to support them, many Sages emigrated; most to Karse, the closest Library, and more peaceful, then, than Esrolia. They brought their favorite books with them.

Among these were the truly unique Lylket researches on UZ physiology, a welcome addition to the pre-existing notes on Argan Argar and other troll religions and customs.

Paul MacLean Anderson
pmanderson_at_hotmail.com
"A Republic, if you can keep it"

   -Doctor Benjamin Franklin