Bio-/mythology

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:34:56 +0300

Trotsky wrote :
> Certainly including Christianity, IMO. I found Christian mythology very
> helpful when writing SK, although Islam and Judaism were not forgotten,
> either.

Indeed, now that I think of it. Christian knightly orders, and Judeo-Christian mysticists like the Templars are a good source of inspiration.

> << With all of this I'm rather baffled at the multitude of North American
> creatures that I find in the Hero Wars books.
>
> In the lands of the Orlanthi (Dragon Pass) the example snake is listed as a
> cottonmouth. Isn't that an American rattlesnake? >>
>
> An American pit viper actually. Much the same, admittedly, except that
> they don't rattle. The rattlesnake is a Pelorian beast.

Hmm... The Pelorian basin is divided from Maniria by the Dragonpass rather handily. In Glorantha we have only two big continents, so if we assume most Terran creatures are to be found they will be stuffed on just two continents.

The Pelorian basin rather well walled off from both the west and Maniria tough, by the mountains. So indeed, parhaps that would be a good place to stick American fauna.

> <<Also the big forestcat in the Malkioni lands is listed as a bobcat, and not
> a lynx. Both seem immensely wrong and out of mythical context to me (and
> really irk some of my players who have seen such references).
>
> Can somebody give me the reasoning behind this, or is this just an attempt
> to make the setting feel more familiar to american gamers?>>
>
> Beyond keeping consistent with previously published material (all written
> by Americans, AFAIK), my aim with the creatures was to have the American
> beasts in Fronela and the Lunar Empire, and European ones in Seshnela and
> Maniria - all in the interests of variety. The Gloranthan bobcat, for
> instance, dwells in Fronela (and Peloria), not Seshnela or Ralios.

I suppose I'll just have her be a bit bigger and call her lynx myself :)

The Rathori feel like ancient Finnish/Siberian bear worshippers. So it will be spruce, pine, lynxes and European Brownbears for me there.

> Or take deer. Wapiti/elk had to be in Seshnela and Ralios, because we
> know the Pralori live there. But otherwise, we find red deer, roe deer and
> fallow deer down in the south, and the ubiquitous white-tailed deer of the US
> up in the north. You'll note that the Kralorelan and Teshnan creatures are
> genuinely Asian, BTW, and hence shouldn't feel out of place - their forest
> cat for instance, is the clouded leopard, a RW beast from SE Asia.

Yup. I liked that.

> But there is some variation, which is why the cottonmouth moved to
> Maniria; I wanted something really venomous to scare the Heortlings with! ;-)

We Scandinavians get plenty scared with our small adders, thank you! But I like the large scheme you have there. I'll just streamline it a bit for my own game, to have the ecologies be more like they were on old Terra, and I'll be quite happy.

> Forward the glorious Red Army!
> Trotsky

Thanks for the explanation mate! That made it much clearer.

        -Mikko, the Adept