Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #429

From: Oliver Bernuetz <oliver_bernuetz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:43:01 -0500

Trotsky replying to :

>Peter Larsen:
>
><< The cottonmouth is a large venomous snake that is semi-aquatic, mostly
>living in swampy areas. The rattlesnake prefers drier climates >>
>
> Mostly, yes, but there are some rattlesnakes that live in swamps (the
>massassauga, for instance) and would presumably be at home along the Oslir.
>
><<and is (I believe) a little smaller >>
>
> Depends on the exact type of rattlesnake - most are indeed smaller,
>but
>some are quite a bit bigger (e.g. the diamondback).
>
><< Whether Dragon Pass is wet enough for cottonmouths (also known as water
>moccasins) is another question, although I'm sure Delecti's Marsh is chock
>full of them. >>
>
> My original text was rather vaguer, just mentioning 'Maniria', quite
>bit of which is moist. But certainly that includes Dragon Pass, and I agree
>that Delecti's Marsh would be a good place to find them.

My only problem with this is that cottonmouths don't live anywhere in the RW where it gets realy cold and snowy in the winter and doesn't Dragon Pass get "bitterly cold" in the winter? (Subjectively that is).

Check out
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/agkistrodon/a._piscivorus$narrative.html

for more info. The Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake lives around the Great Lakes so it'd probably survive there but it rarely gets over 3 feet in length. (Plenty long enough thank you!)

Oliver