HPG BunWars : the RPG !!

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:45:06 +0200

Alex :

> > I'm not really interested in having any terminological bunfights with anyone,
> > or militating against Greg's cosmology in some way. (!)
>
> I certainly wasn't suggesting the latter, but you pretty much started the
> former out of whole cloth!

'tis a conceptual bunfight if you like, but not a terminological one.

Terminological bunfights being, well, interminable. And therefore uninteresting and pointless.

> As per HPG Rule 11.3.2, I believe, "Indirect
> fire: contorted definitions and small pieces of baked dough."

ouch ! careful with those things !! ;-)

The higher realm doesn't have to be considered as a "transcendental" one.

If Greg says that it's so from a game design POV, then it's a cosmological truth ; but actual Gloranthans could hold different beliefs and *still* gain access to higher powers IMO.

This isn't just terminology : varying concepts of the higher realm would produce different magical results, if only because the object of one's own magical actions would be understood in radically different ways. Which is what we already have in HW ...

What Greg actually has is a wider and more interesting basic structure than mere transcendence...

> > I *did* want to point out that, within the very terms of that cosmology,
> > perfectly coherent Gloranthan POVs can be forged (ie good religious cults
> > could be designed) that turned the cosmology upside down, from our own and
> > Greg's POV, without actually affecting or ruining that structure in any way
> > whatsoever, from any POV.

I'll just repeat that, because I really want to insist that this isn't a terminological issue.

> I'm not quite sure what you're hinting at, but I'm skeptical already...
> I don't think it's possible to approach the transcendent realm without
> fundamentally changing your attitude to, or even your place in, the
> inner world. ...
>
> My feathers are fine, thanks -- I'm a bit puzzled at this heavy, yet
> invisible, burden you seem to be carrying, that's all...

Well, approaching the higher realm(s) certainly entails a change in perspective. As does approaching the lower ones, or even the sideways ones for that matter.

"heavy, yet invisible, burden" ? Nice phrase ...

'Curiosity' ?

cheers,

Julian