Re: Frozen Dinosaurs

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_wulf.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:08:26 +0100

>From: altfritz_at_adan.kingston.net
>Subject: Frozen Dinosaurs?
>
>With all this talk of freezing, I ask:
>
>What about all the dinosaurs in Dragon Pass?
>
>Or have they been
>
>(1) Gregged, or
>(2) they aren't actually "dinosaurs" in any RW sense, or
>(3) some other explanation for their continued survival.

Mostly 3. As shown on the BBC TV series 'Walking with dinosaurs', there were dinosaurs in Antarctica. Admittedly, even Antarctica was a lot warmer then than now, but it did drop to drastically low sub-zero temperatures for much of the year, and in total darkness for months - far worse conditions than Dragon Pass would ever suffer. How the dinosaurs survived is open to speculation and theory, but the programme suggested a form of hibernation. The biggest of dinosaurs would retain body heat pretty well, but there is always the theory of warm-blooded dinosaurs (which I support, so long as the details of the biological processes are right) to get by with.

Apparently Jurassic park 3 will feature a battle between a T-Rex and a Spinosaurus...

Wulf