Re: Stars

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 18:14:13 -0700

Jerome Blondel asks:

>Is it possible to find your position by the stars on the seas of Glorantha?

With enough "W's" in Navagate By Stars anything is possible. =) Seriously, the Gloranthan Sky is fixed and regular enough that you ought to be able to do this, combined with knowledge of local currents, winds, weather, water temperature, etc.

>Glorantha is flat (except for that slant in the middle) but on the other
>hand the sky dome is at a finite distance. So does the Pole Star move
>southward when you go north, and northward when you go south?

The last time this subject came up Sandy said the Sky was effectively infinite so, except for gradual seasonal variations, I guess the answer is no, or at least not over short distances. I prefer a finite Sky Dome where "Noon" (that point of the day when the Sun is closest to being directly overhead) occurs earlier in the day in Vormain and the East than it does in Dragon Pass and later in the day as you travel to the West. Course I still haven't given up on Flat Glorantha having actual observable non-horizon visuals, like being able (weather permitting, of course) to see the Block from the Iron Forts or the top of Kero Finn or people in Fonrit trying to figure out what the MoonBurn is.

>I don't expect this is a very accurate science (except that magic helps),
>but it could be useful.

Hopefully as more sourcebooks come out we'll learn more of the wisdom of the Bussarians and others who make the Sky their business.

Gary R. Switzer
Aero Hobbies

"The eels of the Syphon River, on the other hand, and those of the Bay have a formidable reputation for excellence thanks to their large size and wonderous girth. All in all I think the eel rules over everything else at the feast and commands the field of pleasure, despite being the only fish with no backbone."