The Absolute Realm

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:00:16 -0700

>Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 06:12:21 +0800
>From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
>Subject: transcending worlds

>Thanks be to Alex and Greg and Joerg for clearing up my
>confusion. I think I was confused as to exactly what Greg was saying
>with his emphatic 'The Otherworlds are not Transcendant'.
Not my emphasis. I didn't bring it up here. Nonetheless, there is still a vast Underworld that does not have any direct connection to the transcendent.

>Indeed. I'm still a little confused as to what exactly it
>means for a world to have no link to the transcendant in relation to
Of course. It's impossibl eto know it anyway. Here is part of the text in HWD:

Mysticism recognizes three states of being. The physical state is the place we all know. It has the characteristic of always being the same, within the context of time. That is, the table will be a table tomorrow, with the same measurements and characteristics, except for what happens with age.
The nonphysical state is everything else. Its characteristic is malleability, so that nothing is ever guaranteed to be the same. It can discern patterns, express truths, prove opposites to be true, create complete fabrications.
The mystical state is neither physical nor nonphysical. No one can understand this, because it is beyond understanding, which is of the nonphysical realm. No one can experience this, because it is beyond experience, which is of the material realm.

>the second of these (if an inhabitant of a short world practices
>extreme mysticism, can they contact the transcendant? Is there then
>a link?).

The answer is no, they could not. No link exists. That is part of the definiton of a short world. It has no link with the Absolute (the final word being used to describe the Transcendent and Mystical realms.)