Orlanthi at Sea!

From: Coridan <coridan_at_telocity.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:23:10 -0400

Although Brastalos is a major sea goddess, she seems, at least in Storm Tribe, a goddess of still air. That makes me think that much worship would find it's way to Orlanth from Gloranthan sailors, due to both his powers over Winds and Storms as well as his victories over hostile water deities, and one of the few powers who can stand against the great and terrible powers of Magasta.

Orlanth Adventurous seems to me to be an ideal sailors god, with some different interpretations of Orlanth's mythology (perhaps putting him on a less hostile stance with the Sea Tribe?) I can imagine, aside from God Learner experiments, that Orlanth's worship has spread to places like Fonrit and other sections of Pamaltela via Holy Country sailors. I can see Esrolian sailors propitiating terrible Magasta and Wachaza, but also offering a bull to Orlanth for fair winds and clear weather. A Storm Voice on a sailing vessel making the run from Genertela to Pamaltela would probably be considered a gods-send. Orlanth wouldn't hold as much of a place as the Sea Gods or Dormal, but I can see variants of him as important.

Storm Tribe and some of the writings at www.glorantha.com seem to imply to me that all storms and winds are Orlanth's domain, except in certain localised areas - for example, where Durbadath and Entekos are worshipped. Further, Brastalos is a Storm Tribe Goddess, yet is also the wife of Magasta. I suspect that in some myths a hostage exchange was made after the great sea wars? Brastalos for Heler. I know, this sounds really monomythic, but it makes sense to me.

Merely thoughts,

CB

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #443