Re: Stars

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 01:14:40 +0100 (BST)

Gary R Switzer on sky dome parallax:
> The last time this subject came up Sandy said the Sky was
> effectively infinite so, except for gradual seasonal variations, I
> guess the answer is no, or at least not over short distances.

Not over any distance that one would be able to traverse in the Inner world, is my understanding. (Theoretically this raises the question of to what accuracy you might be measuring, but in practice I think that's pretty immaterial.)

> I prefer a finite Sky Dome where "Noon" (that point of the day
> when the Sun is closest to being directly overhead) occurs
> earlier in the day in Vormain and the East than it does in
> Dragon Pass and later in the day as you travel to the West.

I'm not aware of any Pronouncements on this, but personally I'd be perfectly happy to have a Glorantha with "longitude effects", flat earth and infinite sky dome notwithstanding. How to rationalise this? Not sure, but it can't be worse than the dread "bendy light", can it? ;-) (Indeed, maybe believers in bendy light can make the same explanation do double duty?)

> Hopefully as more sourcebooks come out we'll learn more of
> the wisdom of the Bussarians and others who make the Sky
> their business.

Buseri and other Buseri, pretty much. ;-)