Re: Celestiology

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:17:42 +0100 (BST)

Stephen Tempest asks:

> Hopefully a simple (dumb) question:

Neither, alas. ;-)

> What is a moon, in Gloranthan terms? What is the difference between
> moons, planets and stars?

I've heard Greg say that it may be: planets are masculine, moons are feminine; planets are sunpath objects, moons are southpath objects; moons are "defiant" entities, in some sense. (And no, these definitions aren't consistent with each other, or other known uses of the terms, in all cases.)

> Is there a physical difference: stars are holes in the Dome, planets
> are small suns, and moons are big chunks of rock?

I think different cultures have "equally correct" (or equally correct enough to be getting by with -- I'm not sure I'd care to tangle with the Buseri on this myself, when it gets down to the ability scores) perceptions of the "true nature" of each of these.

Jerome Blondel:
> I like the idea that navigators
> can use the red moon though. Measuring the shift between her and Kalikos
> could help find out if you drift too far east or west when voyaging
> north-south. But it matters that the shift be measurable.

Right, the RM is the most potentially useful object for doing this; notwithstanding the fuzzy area of its apparent distance or observable direction, if it's always seen in the sky in the same direction as the Crater, then that gives one a bearing, sufficient to put you on a known "line".

(As one Great Digest Debate threw up, if you can do this, and find north, _and_ get one other such bearing (say on Magasta's pool, via the dread Tin Compasses, [biggest] *and* [of all] have a sufficiently good map, then you can "triangulate" your position on the lozenge.)